So believe it or not, I still have moments of culture shock even though we've been back over a year now. Like this morning, I thought I would "treat" myself to watching a few minutes of the Today Show as I was waiting my turn to get in the shower. (I have a feeling that waiting thing will only be increasing as the kids get older!) So they were interviewing two people about Tiger Woods' return to golf after his "problems." I noticed how the interviewer only let the "experts" have about 5 seconds to answer each question. He would basically cut them off and go on to the next question. It felt like trying to run a mile in 50 yard dash time. I got so turned off after about 2 minutes of that, that I was glad when it was over.
It made me think back to the mornings when Steve and I would sit and enjoy watching CNN International over breakfast in Germany. They would at least give people they interviewed time to answer half-way thoroughly. I know the stereotype of American culture that everyone is ADD and no one wants to sit and listen. I also noticed on the evening news of one of the local stations that they advertise 50 stories in one half hour. Does no one else NOT WANT 50 stories in one half hour? I come away from that kind of stuff feeling like I've had a small sip and no long swallows. I know TV is not a reflection of everyone in our society, but I know their biggest concern is to have viewers and therefore make money, so they are trying to give people what they want. It just seems so shallow.
Let it be known that I don't want this! Thank goodness for NPR! Although I still miss seeing faces with the voices. And I'm not ready to pay for cable or satellite or whatever! And now forgive me for the rant!
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment